Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Kauchak & Eggen: You Take a Position p 361

I would use an assertive discipline approach to classroom management. I believe it will contribute to a productive learning environment. As a first time teacher, I need to use a concrete method to keep order in the class. I will communicate the rules succinctly, display them clearly in the classroom, and explain my reasoning behind creating this particular set of rules. Students have to feel safe to learn and following rules creates a safe environment. I will apply the rules consistently upon the correct student(s) and in addition I will also offer strategies about how the student(s) may have handled the situation better. This will be done in a private and non-confrontational manner. I will keep the student’s self esteem in mind and try to be subtle in dealing with infractions to my rules. I think any classroom will benefit with an assertive discipline approach in conjunction with a positive classroom environment fueled by a caring teacher and students that are cooperative in their dealing with one another.

No comments: